Monday, April 15, 2013

The Chronicles Begin!

Hi! My name is Liz and I'm a life long acne sufferer. Its really hard to talk about how I got here without first mentioning that. I don't remember a time when I didn't have at least one zit. Well maybe when I was on antibiotics but that was a false-clear, something I've learned on this road to truly clear skin. And let me tell you I have learned a lot. I've learned that the practice of dermatology is flawed though it does still have its place. I've learned that the typical acne treatments only treat the effects not the cause of acne and can even make things worse. I've learned that truly fixing the issue, at least for some people, can only happen through lifestyle and diet changes. I've learned that this is not something we need to just accept, it is something we can absolutely change if we have the resolve. Oh, and this was an interesting one, I've learned that our diets can control how our skin heals. Like big time.

Zucchini Buckwheat Pancakes!

This all started for me at a beauty spa. I was trying to get a PCA peel (A combination of acids are applied to your face to kill of layers of skin revealing fresher softer skin underneath, a truly horrible idea when you think about it) but I had been using retinal (one of the many forms of vitamin A) on my face and therefore my face would be too sensitive. PCA peels had been hailed for softening acne scars, of which I had many. So I was really looking forward to this. As I was leaving, feeling heartily dejected, a spa worker stopped me and asked why I wanted this. I said it was for my acne and my acne scars. At this point I had regular deep cystic acne that would leave horrible pock marks on my cheeks and chin. She then told me she too had cystic acne. She had been able to get it under control by completely eliminating dairy from her diet. At that point I would try anything, so I bought some coconut milk and dug in. Over the next few months I started phasing more and more things out of my diet and I continue to notice positive effects.

Crispy Garlic Rosemary Gluten Free Bread

So here I am. I am following the strict Body Ecology diet for the next couple of months but will continue to be gluten/sugar/dairy free thereafter. It hasn't been easy but most of the cravings are gone. Most of my acne is gone. I effortlessly lost about 10 pounds (which I had no desire to lose mind you). I feel more clear headed, less sleepy and less anxious. The only problem is I really miss baked goods. Brownies... muffins... bread!! And that's really what this blog is about. I've been trying for about a month now to build up some good baking recipes for my new lifestyle. At first it was insanely frustrating. Recipes didn't work. I unsuccessful swapped ingredients. Things just tasted horrible. But others have been pretty good. All and all it has been entertaining. So I'm hoping to try at least 1 baked good each day for a year. Will I make it? Who knows but I'm sure it will be fun!

Pretty tasty Buckwheat Zucchini Brownies



No comments:

Post a Comment